Serving Chicago and
Marathon Movers – Moving Checklist – Chicago Area Movers.
TWO WEEKS TO GO
- If renting, advise your current landlord or agent, in writing, of your intention to move.
- Advise your children’s school / kindergarten and have transfer documents sent to your new school/ kindergarten.
- Collect children’s school records, immunisation certificates etc. for the new school.
- Contact government agencies (Centrelink, Child Support Agency, Medicare etc.) and notify them of your new address and date of move.
- Inform your doctor, dentist and other medical specialists of your move. Collect your records or request transfer to your new practitioners.
- Start notifying businesses, colleagues and service providers of your intended change of address.
- Run down supplies of frozen and perishable foods.
- Confirm details with Trans International – times for pack, move, unpack, clean, details of storage, insurance etc.
- Organize to disconnect and connect your essential services; gas, water, phone and electricity.
- Transfer all home deliveries to new address.
- Arrange childcare for your moving day if necessary.
ONE WEEK TO GO
- Transfer bank accounts to a more convenient location.
- Advise the taxation office of your new place of residence.
- Organize general household repairs and thorough cleaning.
- Have a final clean-out dispose of out-of-date materials from under the kitchen sink, garage, laundry etc.
- Dispose of flammables.
- Drain fuel from lawn mower and other machinery.
- Gather all keys from old address, get spares from family and friends.
- Send e-cards to everyone with your new details.
- Collect instruction books for stove, dishwasher, security system and leave for new owner.
- Cancel or change local services such as lawn mowing services, newspaper deliveries etc..
- Keep a bag free with all the things you’ll need for your unpacking and cleaning.
- Keep a few things out for the kids on move day.
- Have your gas bottle purged.
- Clean oven.
- Clean out medicine cabinet.
- Secure electrical items and make sure safe to move.
- Place all suitcases and essential items you need in one specified place so they are not loaded in the removal van, eg. bathroom or car.
- Carry all valuables and important papers with you.
- Pack your essentials in the Trans International Essentials Carton, (refer Moving Manual).
- Ensure children and pets are safe and out of harm’s way.
- Turn off the gas at the meter, the electricity at the switchboard and water at the tap – make sure all cleaning is finished first.
- Do a final walk through with removalists.
- Tighten taps before you leave.
- Leave a note at your old address with your forwarding address details.
- Lock all doors and windows as you leave.
- Test all keys and consider changing your locks.
AFTER YOUR MOVE
- Call and request a new residence pack from your council.
- If moved inter-state, advise Vehicle Registration Authority of your details.
- Store items that don’t fit in your new home – consider selling or donating any unwanted items.
- Find where the local sports clubs, parks and social centers are, join some clubs and get involved in your new neighborhood.
- Visit the local shopping precinct and ascertain which shops are best for parking, price and convenience.
- Familiarise your pets with your new home as quickly as possible, keep cats inside for at least a week and use Feliway to help cats settle.
- Organize for Trans International to collect your used packing cartons.